Tuesday, June 9, 2009

No Complaints at Dinner!

For dinner tonight, I made a favorite soup that I have been looking forward to for a few days. I was so happy when nobody complained, and to top it off, the kids even asked for seconds!

Tortilla Soup

16 oz can tomatoes

1 medium onion, cut up

2 cloves garlic

4 T snipped cilantro

½ t sugar

8 c chicken broth

1 lb chicken breast cut up

1 chipolte peppers and a little adobo sauce


Shredded montery jack cheese

avocados cut up

tortilla chips

sour cream


In a blender combine undrained tomatoes, onion, garlic, cilantro, chipolte peppers, adobo sauce, and sugar. Cover and blend till nearly smooth. Put mixture into a large pot with chicken broth, chicken. Bring to boiling; cover and simmer for 20 minutes

Put crunched tortilla chips in a bowl with cheese, avocados, and sour cream (Omit if desired). Ladle soup over; serve immediately. makes 8 or 10 servings.


Caution: This can by spicy depending on how much chipolte pepper and adobo sauce you use. We like it really spicy, so for my kids, after I put the soup in their bowls, I add extra chicken broth to to make it less spicy, and it cools it fast!

3 comments:

Leanne said...

Sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing, I'll have to try this one of these nights.

The Tanner Family said...

you want to come down here and cook it for us :) I love that soup too! I just cant have anything spicey right now..maybe in like 9 months after Im done nursing!

Annica said...

Haha, I'm glad I wasn't at your table! JK... but really... NOT a fan of Mexican food. Oh, and PS: It's not just one load of laundry per week. It's one trip to the laundromat per week with like 3 loads. I hate the laundromat. There was a mouse there last night!