Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Is She At This Age Already?

Yesterday the kids and I went to Maceys for a few groceries. I got what I needed and went out to the car, and was shocked at what I saw. Meg had an opened pack of Rolos in her hand. I had to decide what to do. I could just leave and let her steal the candy, it was only 50 cents. I could go and admit that she stole something, or just leave the candy on a shelf. I could offer to pay for it, but I really didn't need more candy in the house that I was just going to eat. If I was going to pay for it, I wanted Meg to be the one to pay for it, and she doesn't have any money. How can she get some money?

I immediately went back into the store. I knew that I couldn't just let her steal the candy, even though not much would happen to her anyway, she is only 2. I went in and decided to tell the customer service and offer to pay for it. I figured I would figure out the payments for Meg later. I told them that she had opened it, and I would pay for it. The lady smiled and said thats ok and threw it in a box. I thought something more should be done. She needs to know that this is unacceptable behavior. So I stopped the cart and gave her a small lecture of how it wasn't ours, its called stealing because we didn't pay for it. But you can only lecture for so long...ya know?

4 comments:

kateworthi said...

Yep, they get to that age pretty fast. There is nothing worse than carting 2 kids back into the store one you've realized that you didn't pay for something; I hate that. But it's the right thing to do... Talking to her is what you should have done, though at this age, a big lecture won't do anything. You were right to just tell her what it is, and why it's wrong, and to not do it anymore. Good job!
Not that I'm the perfect parent or anything - but that's what I would have done! :)

Annica said...

That's the saddest thing I have ever heard!!! I'm sorry

Addie May said...

I'm sure my day will come when I have a story like that!! That was probably not too fun to deal with!

Leanne said...

And it doesn't always sink in. I haven't had this happen yet. Though let me tell you, I can't wait. (heavy sarcasm)