Monday, March 24, 2008

Update on Q

Kids on the move came today to evaluate Q. The have a standard test they do for all kids the same age. At 6 months your baby should be rolling over regularly, pushing off the floor with his hands, and sitting up for about 15 seconds. Q is not doing any of that yet. He got a 1% on the test, which means that out of 100 6 month olds, 99 of them will be doing all that by now.

The food expert is coming out on Wednesday to see if he qualifies for the food part of the program since he lost so much weight. He is going to give me some more ideas on how to calorie pack him. They told me that feeding a baby butter is a bad idea because of the dairy. He could get a food allergy from it. He said that babies under one arn't supposed to have any dairy products. So I am sitting her thinking What was my Dr. thinking? telling me to feed my baby butter.

Anyway. What a Journey! (not one any mother should go through!)

8 comments:

Leanne said...

Huh. You'd think the doctor would be the smart one.

Amanda said...

I am sorry to hear about your little guy. I hope that everything turns out okay. I am sure it is stressful for you, hang in there. Keep us (the readers) posted.

kateworthi said...

That's weird about the butter thing. To be honest - if you have food allergies in your family, then you better be careful, but if not, it's probably not going to be that big of a deal. I think they say that they shouldn't have milk until one year. But I think at around 9 or 10 months, a little dairy is okay. Or maybe that's just what I've figured! :) I've given them dairy at about 8 or 9 months. I've seen friends giving their kids yogurt at like 5 months! But it's up to you. I don't know though. But that's weird that your doctor would give you such contrary advice. Probably get a new doctor! Good luck!

Jen said...

Your friend made and interesting point about yogurt at 8-9 months. I have heard from my doctor that it is OK to give yogurt and even a bit of cheese before a year. If you have concerns talk to your doctor, and tell him (or her) that you have heard to stay away from dairy because of allergies. It doesn't hurt to ask and your doctor may have a really good explanation.

InspirednTired said...

I would be thinking the same thing about my doctor. That seems strange that he would tell you that about the butter.
Hopefully they will be able to determine what is going on with Scholar soon.
If you need anything, let us know!

kateworthi said...

Update - I asked some friends if they had heard when to give your baby dairy. All of us said we gave our kid dairy, (cheese and yogurt - not milk) before 1 year. But most of my friends said that they thought the official "guidline" said that dairy should wait 'til a year, although it's not one of those ones that we all felt we needed to strictly follow! I think your doctor was probably not being very cautious - but he's not entirely UP IN THE NIGHT, nor a bad doctor! Don't be too hard on him! :)

Freddie said...

Wow I am old, and in the olden days... hahah when I was a baby, my mom raised me on watered down Sego Milk!! She didnt breast feed me, so they told her to put me on Sego. Can you imagine? No wonder I'm strange. As for the sitting up etc.. dont worry Ashely, some times babies just take longer to do things. Just keep working with him and we can all pray for him. Have faith, He will be fine. Take care

EVEN STEPHENS said...

I can tell you one way or another that adding a buch of butter or karo syrup to babies food will more than likely make them not want to eat pure food when they are older, they will always want to sweeten there fruit and butter there food, I would just add calories in the form of good food with high caloric content like nutbutters and bannanas mashed with other fruits, or add oatmeal or brown rice. small bites of cheeses or yogurt should be fine, just not milk. There is a processing difference. Milk is hard to digest. Sometimes cheese is to, it is more of a digestion issue with milk than an allergy I have learned from many of my "Natural DR. Friends" Hope this helps a little! Hailey