Wednesday, June 17, 2009

hospital details

I am supposed to be sleeping, but instead surfing the net because I am too tired to sleep.

Ok, so what happened is on Sunday Meg started to get the symptoms of an attack, by Sunday evening, I knew she was having a full attack and would have to take her to the dr's on Monday. That is no big deal it happens at least once a month.

I was up all night Sunday every 2-3 hours giving her the meds and she just wasnt showing signs of improving so Monday morning I was waiting impatiently to call the dr so i could get in, she was clearly having trouble breathing, and her lips were turning blueish.

I called hte dr and got right in and he did the breathing treatments and then sent us home. I was nervous because Meg has a history of getting 100% better after a treatment and then an hour later crashing to the same as before, the dr told me I could bring her back in if I needed to later that day. and I did.

She wasnt improving so at noon I packed up the kids again and headed over there. This time they directed me to the hospital right away. We went and got Heber from work and headed straight over there.

Once we got here, they said she doesnt need and IV and didnt need to go on oxygen. We were nervous that the dr jumped the gun and sent her here for no reason. But she was breathing so hard that she wasnt going to be able to keep up with that for long.

a normal person is suposed to breath between 8-25 ( i am not sure what, those were just the numbers on the machine) and she was above 50. If she continued to breath like this then she would loose oxygen, and would get tired out and eventually stop. So they had to put her on oxygen, just 1 liter. This eventually made her breathing slow down and become normal, but then we couldnt get her off the oxygen, we lowered it to .5 liter and she was good for the first night with the .5 liter.

the next day the dr woudnt let us leave because she was still on the oxygen and she is still wheezing and course and tight in the lungs. so she is getting breathing treatments every 3 hours around the clock and on all sorts of different meds. i think she is on at least 4 meds right now trying to get her to stop wheezing, being course and tight in the lungs. and still on oxygen

Last night was scary, i went to get dinner and came back and the nurse said she turned her oxygen up from .5 to 1.5. i was so shocked, but then throught the night she had to turn it up and up and up and it was turned up to a 3 liters and her level was 89. She kept telling me not to worry, but then went and got a second oppinon. they decided to call the dr on call, and he said to switch her to the oxygen mask instead of the tubes and just watch her, he wasnt too worried i guess. with the mask the oxygen level has to go up to a 5 at max, i was worried at first, but htey said thats just how its done. with the oxygen to 5 liters, she was still only at 94.

This morning when her dr came to check on her, he said it was weird and he didnt know why she would freak out like that last night, so he wants us to stay again because he cant let us leave if she is going to do that again tonight. She is still on oxygen right now, at 1.5 liters. and she is still so course, tight and wheezy in the lungs so we will stay as long as it takes to get her better.

I have been staying with her the last 2 nights, but Heber is going to stay with her tonight and tomorrow so I can get a break. She is gaining energy and I am loosing it.

We were very blessed to have friends who could watch Q. I am sure he is going to forget who I am. But we know he is getting taken care of well and very happy to be playing with kids his own age rather then being stuck in a room with a stressed mom and a sick sister. He comes to visit every night and misses his sister.

She in confined to her room because she has a cold and it could really mess up another kid here if they got sick, she doesnt understand why she cant come out, but the volunteers and staff are really working hard to keep her busy, she has so many toys that they gave to her, and paints, and bubbles, and playdough, and all sorts of fun things to do.

I will post more details when i can, i am off to nap.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

Wow! Crazy... thanks for the 'official update' since i still hadn't quite heard the whole story. That sounds so scary for you to deal with. We pray she'll get better soon. :) don't worry, Scholar is doing great. They just got up from naps not too long ago and had lunch. Him and Carson are having so much fun together. They keep rolling balls back and forth to each other across the coffee table and laughing hysterically when the ball falls off. Scholar is also very into Carson's toys... i'm sure just because they're something different. But they're having a great time, and Carson's been following Scholar around like a puppy dog. If you need help with him tomorrow so you can sleep, let me know.

Annica said...

That sounds so sad and scary! But I know she will be okay!! This is something that the doctors can handle!! Just keep up your faith and happy smile for Majestic because she is probably scared!

Alicia said...

So sorry to hear about Majestic. Hopefully things will clear up soon. Keep us updated, and I will bring over dinner when you guys get home!